Saturday, March 5, 2016

Birthday drinks (Part 1) - Shinshu Mars Twin Alps

It's been rather busy since I started work. Thus, the search for new whiskies has slowed down. But a birthday is always a good excuse to find new stuff. Had four new ones over two days, so I'll start with the least impressive today; the notes for the other three will come over the rest of the week...

Shinshu Mars Twin Alps (40% abv) - This one is a blend whisky, and I think it's the entry level blend for Shinshu Mars. Not quite in the same league as the Mars Maltage "Cosmo", which is a blended malt. We should be expecting some grains in this. I asked the waiting staff if I should be having this one neat, or in a highball. She thought for a while, and said that if I want a highball, I should get the Kakubin. The Twin Alps should be ok straight or on rocks. I had it straight.

Nose - Soft vanilla, a touch of cinnamon (thanks to EP for identifying the spice! It was really rather faint). The wood on the nose is firm and very present. In fact, I'll say that the oak is the main driver of the nose.

Palate - Feels grainy, like fine sand. That's an odd texture. Pretty smooth. Some vanilla, some cinnamon spice. A lot of wood. Grassy too. Gentle on the alcohol. A little sweet, and maybe a hint of coconut.

Finish - Short. Nothing that stands out. Fairly standard for an entry level blend - some vanilla, and a lot of wood.

This one was drank at Ji Biru, a Japanese bar at Somerset 313. The whisky selection is tiny; Kakubin, Twin Alps, Hibiki 12, Taketsuru 17. That's about it, I think. Or maybe there's one more I forgot...But the selection of Japanese beers is pretty good! Pity there's only outdoor sitting, so that can get a little stuffy in Singapore's climate. Ji Biru simply means "Ground Beer", maybe because the bar is located at the ground level? Anyhows, the whisky selection here is puny, but the beers look promising. Maybe next time!

1 comment: