Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Age to Age - Auld Alliance Irish Single Malt

Another year older, another year wiser, another year drunker. Thinking about what whisky to celebrate my birthday, I thought, why not drink something distilled in the same year I was born? Brilliant. And I know exactly which whisky to get.

When The Auld Alliance re-launched their menu, a couple of whiskies were advertised quite prominently. One of these was an unidentified Irish whisky distilled in the year 1988. Been eyeing that for a year, actually. Finally got to try it, and my my, was it worth the wait.



The Auld Alliance Irish Single Malt Whisky 1988/2015 (51.2% abv)
Colour - light gold

Nose - Intensely fruity. Pineapples, tinned peaches, syrup, figs, some light grapes, some oak in the undertones...This is a massive fruit basket! The fruits are fresh, and the nose is a little sharp, which aids in the delivery of the citrusy nose. There's also notes of some spice in the nose, but man, that's one sexy fruit basket.

Palate - Pineapples on entry, transiting into...I'm pretty sure of this - pink guava. No, not kidding. Pink guava. There's some berries as well - strawberries, and with some time, it becomes closer to something more tart. Raspberries, perhaps? Figs are still there, and the oak tells as well, but the big fruitiness keeps everything fresh and beautiful. With some time, a more malty side emerges. Slight metallic twang, a little bit of black tea, and some toffee at the end.

Finish - Not too long. I think this goes down a little too quickly, actually. Some oak, a little spice. Slightly malty and porridgey too. But nothing lasts very long. Pity.

Overall - Pretty good! Feels very fruity and young for its age, but this is deep and complex. Love the fruits and freshness, though the finish is perhaps not perfect. Many many thanks to EP for celebrating my birthday and enjoying this dram with me! I think she preferred her Whisky Sour better though...

No comments:

Post a Comment