Sunday, January 14, 2018

Linkwood 12 Flora and Fauna

Linkwood 12 Flora and Fauna (43% abv)



Nose - Light smoke, strangely savoury in a nice way. Strange because I didn't expect it. Butter and oyster. There's a steamed oyster with butter on sushi thing at Genki. Never tried it though. And then a truckload of orange zest falls on your head. Some pears. Pretty grassy and herby on parsley.

Palate - Pears, oranges, quite a bit of barley sugar. There's a bit of yeastiness in this, giving it a touch of the malting barley. There's a light smoke on this still, and then turns a little rubbery too. The texture is fairly oily, and the parsley is still in the whisky. Probably should not have dipped it for so long. The oranges in this are very fresh and juicy, but these are combated by spices. I picked up ginger, pepper, and a bit of five spice powder.

Finish - Not very long, but quite a lot of wood comes out, with spiciness for a kick.

Overall - I quite liked this. There's a touch of the old-school Speysider with this, and the taste profile reminded me a little of the amazing Craigellachie 31 sans sherry. A new distillery for me. I think this is the first Linkwood I've ever had. Good start!!

No comments:

Post a Comment